Thursday 13 May 2010

Day 16 - Keep it simple.


12th/13th May
2:37am. It's not how much you write, but what you write that gives a sense of satisfaction. Finally back on track. These past two days I've been disciplined about sitting down and just doing the work, with a minimum of distraction. Often it's something that simple that kick starts your productivity. More importantly I'm happy with what I've written. Before I was getting lost in details – Again, best to keep it simple. Knowing what you DON'T want is just as important as knowing what you DO want, and sometimes the only way to know what you don't want is by writing it! It's all a necessary part of the process so I'm not gonna beat myself up about losing time. As Don Siegal is said to have said (by Clint Eastwood) 'Analysis is Paralysis', so the less time I spend analysing my efforts, the more time I spend on my efforts!
On a side note, I bought yet another art book. I'm addicted to art books; I love to know how other artists work. I find it so inspiring, and whilst I'm completely & utterly broke, I mitigate my guilt at spending money I don't have by the simple fact that inspiration is priceless! Art books are a total necessity. I received Alex Ross's 'Mythology'. It's good, but not the best art book in my collection- still, I could definitely learn from it. Jim Lee's still my favourite comic book artist though; his dynamic storytelling & sharp pencils are just awesome to behold! Not taking anything away from all the other great artist's out there though.

No comments: